We the People New Mexico - Recent Events
Albuquerque City Council
- Resolution R-19-179 calling on the NM legislature to pass a Red Flag law. Passed August 19th (Voting for-Benton,Davis,Gibson, Sanchez; Against- Jones, Pena; Absent- Borrego, Harris, Winter). You can view the resolution and compare it to the U.S. Constitution on the EDUCATION page- specifically, the 2nd, 4th and 5th Amendments and the NM Constitution Article 2, Sec.6. and how it addressed due process.
- After the Bernalillo County Commission passed a Paid Time Off ordinance (see below), Councilors Benton and Davis are now re-approaching the possibility of implementing a mandatory sick leave ordinance for Albuquerque, something that was voted down in Sept 2017 (see Abq Journal article 8-23-19). Both Councilor Benton and Davis are up for re-election Nov 5th.
- On September 18, three Albuquerque City Councilors introduced three pieces of legislation dealing with gun control (Pat Davis, Isaac Benton, Diane Gibson). Keep in mind that Councilors Davis and Benton are up for re-election on November 5, 2019 and Councilor Gibson's current term ends in 2021.
Ordinance O-19-82 deals with firearms storage in homes and automobiles; O-19-83 prohibits firearms at city facilities; O-19-84 deals with threats of mass violence.
Consider this. Here's a quote from the NM Constitution Article II, Section 6: "No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident of the right to keep and bear arms."
- The Commission voted unanimously on 1-28-2020 (AR 2020-18) to support the Red Flag Law- SB 5
- Vote to adopt ordinance to establish Paid Time Off- August 20th. Passed (Voting for- Quezada, Hart-Stebbins, O'Malley; Against-Pyskoty, Talbert).